5.26.2008

sixteenth new thing...

this new thing represents a goal that i wanted to accomplish more than anything. now, while meeting a goal i set for myself is nothing new (otherwise, i would be a twenty-nine year-old woman who crawls on the floor, never learned how to chew solid food and still needs someone to change my diaper. oh, i guess that is something i have to look forward to as an eighty-nine year-old.) the actual goal was new. for the sixteenth accomplishment of the 52 new things, i ran a 10K in under 60 minutes.

beginning in february, i started training for my second half-marathon in april. as part of the training, i decided to set not only a distance goal (just finishing....which was the goal of the first half last year) but also a time goal (finish it in under 2 hours and 10 minutes, which would require me to average less than 10 minute miles for the 13.1 mile course). this required that i incorporate time trials into my training. as chronicled earlier, my attempt to participate in a warm-up race didn't go so well. so i took it upon myself, the week before the race to pick a day to run a 10K (6.2 miles for all you non-metric peeps). it would be a pretty good indication of how likely it would be that i would meet my half-marathon goal. so i started that treadmill, blasted that carly smithson and waited to see. and i did it. even if it was just barely.

update: so since accomplishing this new thing, i ran my half-marathon in nashville. and you will be happy to know that i not only met my finishing goal, but i bested it. finished in 2 hours and 7 minutes. i might do a full the next time. then again, i don't know if my poor feet and pecs can take it.

No comments: